Thursday, January 8, 2009

Jounral Entry #1

I've been living in Burlington my whole life during the school years then in the summer I spend my time up North at my cottage. Where I live in Burlington it is a very urban area with little variety of elevation. There are however many creeks and streams that run through the community. For example in my back yard you can see a pond that is part of a golf course, often I see animals such as turtles, muskrats or beavers. In the Spring there are many trees and plants that come into bloom; my favourite being a tree in my front yard that blooms with white flowers.



At my cottage the landscape is very hilly, rocky and rough because it is located on the Canadian Shield. My cottage is right beside a lake and it is in a calm bay that is shielded by the waves that can sometimes be very harsh. There are a huge number of different types of trees that surround my cottage, but this can be bad in the Spring when I have to rake them onto a tarp then carry them up the hill behind my cottage. There are many opportunities to go hiking, biking or have a pinic because my cottage is deep in the woods and has trails. Since my cottage is deep in the woods there are also different species of animals that come out at night such as bears that try to open the trash cans (so we had to get a metal bin with a lock), chipmunks and racoons. I also have to work harder for things such as heat, if I am cold I have to go outside chop wood bring it back inside, start a fire and keep it going.



Living in Burlington all my life has changed my inner landscape to more of a laidback personality because I have been exposed to a variety of different worlds such as the urban lifestyle and the wildlife around it; instead of the busy lifestyle of living in a place such as downtown Toronto. My cottage has changed my inner landscape into more of a person who enjoys outdoors and works harder because I have been exposed to a plethora of wildneress, wildlife and having to work harder for things than I wouldn't have to work for if I was in an urban house.

No comments:

Post a Comment